Friday, September 25, 2009

New Neck Knife


I have grown attached to a simple tool that comes in quite handily while doing primitive skill encampments and demo's. It is a 3-inch blade, struck from a core of tough Nehawka flint, with saw-like serations on both edges. I wear it on a buckskin thong, with a deer phallanges "bead", around my neck. One of the curious things about dressing primitively is that there are no pockets. Certainly this was quite an innovation. Contantly, it seems I need to saw a notch in a fireboard, cut a thong, or trim a stem and have to hunt down a cutting implement. I was watching primitive technologist Lynx Vilden's, "Back into the Stone Age: The Yaak River Hunterer Gatherer Project", in which participants lived in a stone age capacity for several month. All of them wore a simple stone blade attached to a thong around their necks. Whenever they needed a quick cut, bore a hole, or start a new notch, they employed their 'neck knife'. Prehistorically, I do not know if this was done, as it was a speculation on their part also, but we do know that small knives were worn in sheaths suspended around the neck historically. ( I see how this is posted, and am out of time to fix this right now...actually, I am packed and ready to head out to another event.)

7 comments:

Triballica said...

Cool stuff, Mark. Actually, i do love all the stuff you make.

Triballica said...

Hey Mark, i just realice that you added a link to my blog in yours. Thank you so much.
Leo

Snake Dr. said...

This Is a Real Nice Neck Knife, I really like the saw-like serations on both edges, Look's to be a Real Handy Tool, I'm In North Omaha, I see your In Eastern Nebraska also,

Kenny

Unknown said...

alot better than my neck knife!
http://bushcraftskills.blogspot.com/2009/07/neck-knife.html

Mark said...

Thanx for the nice comments. I've been neglectting my blog lately, been stepping out and doing an number of Fall events. In fact am packed again to head out tomorrow. Snake Dr., we are close...I live in Fremont. HM, I will have to check out your blog when I get back. -Mark

Snake Dr. said...

If your In Fremont them I'm sure we've crossed path's at the Fremont Gun Show's "I go to everyone" If you get some time could you shoot me an E-Mail ? I've got 4o Pound's of Pedernales Flint and maybe we can do some Trading ? My E-Mail Is omahasnakes@gmail.com Your Blog Is Great !

Unknown said...

The most memorable thomas sabo jewellery moment of life is engagement thomas jewellery occasion that comes in the pandora bracelets life of every people once in their lifetime. At this occasion, they pandora jewellery make promise to live together in every situation of the life and also pandora australia will share distress and blessed pandora bracelets moment of life together. There are a number pandora bracelet of questions popping in your mind that why only rings on engagement and not other jewelries pandora charms like earrings, locket and necklace. Answer thomas sabo australia is simple, the shape of ring is circular that define thomas sabo that love has neither beginning nor sabo jewellery end that why only rings are presented on engagement occasion.