Friday, July 4, 2008

Mesolithic Fireworks

4th of July...fireworks!...mesolithic style... Striking a fist sized nodule of marcassite with a piece of flint, a faint shower of sparks fly off into the air...my "mesolithic fireworks." One of my goals is to gain some proficiency in the ancient European fire making method of striking flint & marcassite. One of the major keys is having the right tinder to catch the fragile sparks. I have not been successful...yet. (Pictured is marcassite, flint striker, and chaga tinder fungus.)

I received this nodule from Storm, a naturalist & primitive technologist, who passed away in February 2008, at the age of 38. I had corresponded with him concerning this technic, and he requested my address. I did not know of his condition, or that he was in the process of clearing things up, so I was shocked to hear of his passing. I am humbled and thankful for his gift. http://www.stoneageskills.com/

It is appropriate to say at this time, as we celebrate during the 4th of July, the independence of our country - that I am thankful for the wisdom of our forefathers in establishing the Constitution, and for the blessings of living in this land where we have the freedoms and opportunities we enjoy. God bless America.

No comments: